so one piece at a time.

As most of you know I often use my photos in my work. I love roses and have many gorgeous shots of them, but hands down My favourite rose is yellow. One of the things I do for me is make a desk calendar every month using a photo from my digital stash. I have been known to use digital textures and overlays. This past March I used a lovely open bloom with an overlay from French Kiss and I liked it so much that when the month was done I decided to try to print it out on cotton and see what I might do with it.

Well it sat for a while then I thought I would try some hand embroidery starting with the overlay which had a lovely dragon fly. Then I carried on to do some of the blossoms . Then I got carried away with my box of colourful threads and stem stitched my way around the outline of the rose, and added some scattered seed stitch to the centre of the rose to add some texture and some shadow definition.

That is where I was last week and this week I was doing the backing and the frame. I have long wondered why we who do textile work still end up making pieces square. If it is a quilt yes… necessary but if it is for a wall why does it have to be square. I always like cloth hangings just as cloth if they are professionally framed I prefer that they not be under glass. So I played around with some things and this is the result.

rose overlay embroidery-1.jpg

The two ribbons still have to be completely sewn down but I like the shape of the piece a lot.

rose pverly detail-2.jpg

and here’s a detail of the embroidery.

where does the time go?

The days spin quickly past and the snow has changed back into spring, almost summer today… temperature wise…

I’ve been out cleaning up in the garden and earlier this week was doing a fair amount of hand embroidery that hasn’t found its way into my camera yet.

I am excited to share it with you though so I will get some photos soon. I’m working on two pieces at the same time. One that is very classic and one that is crazy whimsical. It is an interesting juxtaposition.

In the mean time… here’s to Spring!

toned blossom-1.jpg


wow it's almost April.

In March, I was busy with a lot of things. mostly computer oriented and I found I was getting frustrated not sewing , or painting. A good sign for it means that February where I concentrated on doing something almost everyday has become a choice. One that I have come to expect and perhaps even continue.

I can’t call it a habit for that will jinx the process… oh I’m learning how to deal with this rebel inside of me. Grin.

I began the collage cutting pieces of a previously painted cotton and was playing with its position on various backgrounds but that decision making process was not keeping my hands busy enough. Pictures of that are coming soon!

One rash Saturday I decided it was time to tackle some tidying in the basement and I found a whole load of old cotton shirts I had cut up thinking I would paint on them at some point. One small piece still had a part of the front buttonhole placket on it and it was and interesting shape. It was quite creased from being thrown in a box so I thought why not use the folds to define some planes and see where it might take me. So I began to make tiny stitches in a very light thread all along the folds making angles and dart like shapes.

white small piece-1.jpg

I forgot to take a picture before I started placing the shapes on the front so here you are seeing the tiny stitches that end up being larger on the back.

The detail photo below shows you the front with the tiny stitches cascading down the folds. Looking rather like tiny beads. I really like the sheen of rayon thread.

white piece detail-2.jpg

Write here…

white small piece-3.jpg

This gives you an idea of what the collage will look like when it is all sewed down and the single buttonhole at the top will be a place from which to hang it. It should be complete soon so watch for the final photo.