Since the fish collage, I have returned with renewed interest to a fabric collage I began last summer. I had decided on a circle, and I had fussy cut a flower that I painted on cotton years ago but hadn’t found a place for it yet. I had lightly glued down the pieces and I had done some hand sewing on it but I felt it was perhaps a little too pat… but that critical voice is being told off at the moment so it was a good place to begin again. With the backgound fabric a lovely spiral pattern I refer to this piece as New Zealand #1.
Here’s where I restarted.
Detail of flower with beginning hand stitch. the dots are mostly ink pen but I did highlight some later with black thread.
And here’s where I finish.
Detail of the bottom band with french knots in green and fuzzy yarn sewed onto silk fray piece.
Detail of top band , which was painted linen with freemotion machine stitch in variegated threads.
Detail of flower with hand stitching and a portion of couched metallic thread accenting the spiral.